Sunday, November 8, 2009

the Morning Show


Now that the majority of the leaves have fallen, I’m enjoying the morning acrobatic display.

Between the house and the creek are three terraces. As you would expect, the house is on the highest level. The shed and the fire pit are on the middle level, creek access and a small swimming dock and ladder are on the lowest. One of the trees on the middle level has a broken branch, quite large, caught on a lower, smaller branch. A squirrel family appears to have taken up residence. As I sat on the back porch, coffee cup in hand, I watched the show.

It seems there’s always a bold one (or two or more) and, by comparison, a timid one. The bold one came up out of the broken branch, scampered out on the smallest of branches and leaped six feet through the air to another tiny branch on a tree at least thirty feet from his home tree. As I was gazing in wonder, I noticed another squirrel emerge from the broken branch. This one boldly dashed to the end of the small branch, paused, then went back to the trunk. After a few seconds, he or she made a mad dash and cleared the jump.

I always tend to applaud the timid one.

No comments:

Post a Comment