Wednesday, October 28, 2009

fog

I had a meeting to attend last night and drove through the dark in a (literal) fog. Fortunately, there aren’t many vehicles on these country roads, because the distortion of their headlights made the trip a bit scary.

After arising this morning, I had my usual stint on the back porch. It had rained all night, so the fog hadn’t dissipated. Everything was soft around the edges and sounds were muted, until a pickup came down the road across the creek. This was obviously not someone who was familiar with the way this creek twists, because the driver ended up having to back up quite a way before turning around. The sound of the backup alarm was shrill in the soft air. I’d much rather hear the bleating of a calf, the bellowing of a cow, the chattering of a squirrel, or the chirping of the early morning birds.

I am blessed with the sounds of nature.

No comments:

Post a Comment