Sunday, September 6, 2009

words

A friend is going through the end of her marriage. The obvious culprit is alcoholism, her husband’s. Less apparent are the hurtful words that have flown back and forth over the more than a decade they’ve been together.

I’ve never understood the need to belittle people, even in jest. Heaven only knows, I’ve been unkind to people I care about, but it hasn’t been intentional. I would hope the worst that could be said was that I was careless. I’ll admit to that. I get frustrated and cranky.

It’s no mistake that I live alone. I need a lot of downtime, recharging time. I took the Meyers-Briggs personality inventory, which confirmed that I am an introvert. The thing that interested me about that was their definition of “introvert” as someone who needs to be alone to recharge, as opposed to an extrovert, who draws energy from other people. Being with most people drains me.

No comments:

Post a Comment