Thursday, August 6, 2009

flood

In spite of all the rain we’ve had in the past few months, this is the first time I’ve seen the creek look flooded. It’s high and silty brown. The rain started at about quitting time at the bank yesterday, growled into a thunderstorm, settled into a downpour, and continued through the night. Because of the silt, I suspect it was raining on a good part of the creek, upstream.

Although this has been a beautifully cool summer, the rain has necessitated that the windows be cracked, instead of wide open at night. Hence, the house is stuffy and smells of mildew, stale cigarette smoke, and cats. The house is built on a concrete slab, which is covered with carpeting, so I’m seeing blotches I’m assuming are caused by the damp, leaching up through the carpet. There’s an infestation of small black ants, which appear to be munching on the shoe molding in the kitchen, not to mention errant pieces of dry cat food. All in all, I’m meeting roommates I wasn’t aware I had!

No comments:

Post a Comment